Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Looks like Tuesday Really is the New Monday.

I was a little under the weather yesterday (thanks Dave), but this morning I have a wonderful treat for you.


I’m Robin from Bird On A Cake.
 
 

 
I am a Florida girl who loves to bake and blog!
 
I started a family blog over three years ago, where I write about life
and my adventures as a mom with two autistic children.
 
As my cake decorating skills improved, I started adding some cakes to my blog mix. 
Then, a few months ago, I decided to start a new blog just about my cake adventures.
 
I share yummy recipes, decorating tutorials and lots of pretty cakes at Bird On A Cake.
 
 
Today I am sharing a tutorial for some cute Valentine’s cupcake toppers…
conversation hearts made with candy melts!
 
 
You will need:
heart cookie cutter
wax paper
candy melts
red gel food coloring
a batch of cupcakes
frosting (you can buy it or use this buttercream recipe)
 
First, make a template by tracing your cookie cutter on a piece of paper.
Tape your template to a piece of cardboard or the back of a cookie sheet.
Tape a piece of wax paper over the template.
 
 
Next, put your candy melts in a bowl and microwave:
Cook for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat until they are completely melted.
(My green and purple candy melts were both darker than I wanted,
so I mixed them each with white candy melts to lighten the color.)
Put each color in a separate decorating bag, or in a ziploc with the corner snipped off.
 
 
Filling in the outline, pipe the candy melts on to your wax paper.
Put the hearts in the fridge for a few minutes to set up.
 
 
When the hearts have hardened, carefully peel them off the wax paper.
Tint a small amount of frosting red and put it in a decorating bag,
or you can just use a tube of red gel food coloring.
Write messages on the flat side of your hearts…
you can personalize them any way you like!
 
 
Frost your cupcakes and place a heart on top of each one.
Share the love and give them to your sweethearts!
 
 
 
I hope you enjoy making these Valentine’s cupcake toppers!

No comments:

Post a Comment