Saturday, December 10, 2011

SUPER SATURDAY DIY..SO SWEET..SO YOU

  I just love this idea from Michelle at the Scrap Shoppe.

Framed Advent Calendar {Homemade Christmas Decor}

To start Homemade Christmas Decor week, I want to show you my brand new 
Framed Advent Calendar!

Its high time we had an advent calendar around here. With my oldest being 3, we need a little help counting down the days to Christmas!

Here's how I made it... 
I found this great frame in the clearance section at Hobby Lobby. $10.80 for a 10.5x14.4 inch frame? Yes please!!

Canvas Corp was kind enough to send me some of their products to play with, so I decided to try out their waxed cotton cording to string along my frame. I tied off each end so it would be hidden behind the frame and put a small dab of Beacon's 3-in-1 in the center of the knots to make sure nothing would come untied.

You may know by now how much I love Kraft paper, so I was beyond thrilled to find several pieces of patterned Kraft paper in my Canvas Corp stash! I selected 5 different sheets and cut them into 25 rectangles for the banners for my advent calendar.

I put some Wonder Film from P K Glitz (a double-sided adhesive sheet) through my Silhouette to cut out some numbers for the calendar. Then I put the numbers on the rectangles of Kraft paper. 

I wanted glittery numbers that would really shine in the Christmas lights so once I took the top layer of paper off of the Wonder Film numbers, I sprinkled them with P K Glitz crimson glitter. They seriously sparkle! And the red looks fabulous on the Kraft paper!

I continued on with all of the numbers, adding the glitter to them all.

Then to make my rectangles into banners, I took the scissors and various border punches to them.

On the back of the banners I added various Christmas decorations I had in my scrapbook stash.
(banners, stickers, stamps, transparencies, buttons...)

Included in the Canvas Corp stash were some cute mini clothespins. To make them more "Christmas-y" I added a little candy cane effect with some acrylic stamps.

Once the clothespins were dry I hung up all of the banners!

This is the front and back view.

To help decorate the frame, I wound some strips of brown burlap around one corner and made a bow out of some painted burlap ribbon I purchased last year for Christmas.

And this is my little set up for it! On the old Singer sewing machine. 
Guarded by Santa!

I think it turned out pretty darn cute! 

And its a great countdown for the kiddo. In a few years when the boys are older we might try a more interactive advent calendar. But I will always keep this one for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment